What Does House Building Insurance Cover?

What Does House Building Insurance Cover?

If you're a homeowner, then house building insurance is something you need. It provides cover for your house in the event of damage. Many people have contents insurance but forget about the building itself. So what does house building insurance cover?
House building insurance will cover you against damage caused by:

  • Fire and smoke damage

  • Damage caused by storms and lightning

  • Flooding

  • Explosions

  • Subsidence and landslip

  • Theft and vandalism

  • Water and oil leaking from heating systems or pipes

  • Falling branches, trees, and TV aerials

  • Pipe damage due to frost

Benefits To Look For

There are benefits you should look for when purchasing house building insurance. These include:

Trace and Access

This is an important benefit because it covers the costs associated with removing and replacing a part of your building to source a leak.

Loss Of Keys

Losing your keys can cause stress as well as costing you money. Some policies will let you claim back the costs of replacing the locks on your doors and household safes.

Emergency Access

If emergency services need to break into your home then you can claim the repair costs to doors and windows.

Alternate Accommodation

If your house needs extensive repairs, then many policies will provide alternative accommodation. Insurers will often set a claim limit of between £12,000 to £80,000 depending on the policy.

Accidental Damage

Accidental damage is often overlooked by homeowners, but any policy you purchase should cover you against accidents. An example is putting a foot through the ceiling when you're in the loft. It can cost hundreds to fix, so it's best to ensure you're fully protected.

Things Your Policy Won't Cover

Your house buildings insurance won't cover general wear and tear, storm damage to fences, plants and gates, deliberate damage caused by anyone living at the property and frost damage to external pipes.

You May Also Like